Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Like a bang, a-boome-boomerang

While reading SweetViolets blog the other day, I clicked on the link for religious fundamentalists, I came across one nutcase who claimed that the high rate of disease and famine in Africa is because us Africans are not a God fearing people, and we are being punished by Him because of this.

While this particular nutcase was pretty much wrong about that whole statement, one commenter posed the question "What about Sweden, they have the lowest percentage of Christians in all the world? What is their punishment for this?"

And someone else (bless him/her for this answer) said "ABBA".

Oh how I chuckled at that. And then it got me thinking about how the lyrics of songs, sung by bands/people who’s first language is not English have really had a profound affect on my life throughout the years, for example :

"Bang, say da da da da

Tell me yes and let's feed the fire

Bang bang, say da da da

Nothin' less, I wanna hear a yes

Bang, say da da da da

Tell me yes and let's feed the fire

Bang bang, say da da da

Tell me yes"

Bang - Gorky Park

OR

"1-2-3-4 walking like a man, hitting like a hammer, she's a juvenile scam. Never was a quitter, tasty like a raindrop, she's got the look. Heavenly bound cause heaven's got a number. When she's spinning me around, kissing is a colour, Her loving is a wild dog, she's got the look."

The Look - Roxette

OR

"Chiquitita, tell me the truth. I'm a shoulder you can cry on. Your best friend, I'm the one You must rely on. You were always sure of yourself. Now I see you've broken a feather I hope we can patch it up together. "

Chiquitta - Abba

And some of my favorite lines by other artists :

I love you like a fat kid loves cake - 50 Cent

you cheated girl my heart beated girl - Trousersnake

I don't wanna be your friend. I wanna f--- you like I'm never gonna see you again - Kid Rock

You should be stronger than me, But instead you're longer than frozen turkey - Amy Winehouse (no surprises here)

Them chickens is ash and I'm lotion - Mariah Carey

And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn - Bob Dylan

I don't know what's gotten in to me, but I kinda think I know what it is - Jessica Simpson


Aaah, Good Times . . . Good Times.

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

teehee, not to mention Atlantis is calling, S.O.S. for love
Atlantis is calling, from the stars above
!

Restless Ink said...

Oh how I wish my husband would whisper sweet 50-Cent-things in my ear...