Monday, October 1, 2007

Entry the Fifth - To vigilante or not to vigilante

I love Dexter. No not the weird little kid with a funny accent. The Sunday-night-after-the-eight-o’clock-movie Dexter. He is a cold blooded serial killer, but he is hot, and he only kills bad guys. And he always gets it right. Always.


What I would like to say about Vigilantism is "Yay for them." But I am not an impulsive kind of girl. I am not the type to look only at one dimension of anything.

To fully express my view on vigilantism I would have to write a long, long, long blog. Because it is complicated. But let me break it down as much as I can.

  1. I could never do it. I truly don’t think that I have the capacity in me to murder, no matter what evil thing they had done.
  2. I would like to think that I could protect myself, and my family to the point where I could take someone else’s life. But I have never been in that position. I have never experienced that level of fear.

The biggest problem with vigilantism is that mistakes can be made. Innocent people can be harmed, or killed.
It’s all good and well to Cheer every time a vigilante puts a drug dealer or child rapist in his grave.
But what if they get it wrong, what if it is your child or brother or sister who is incorrectly gunned down? What if they make a mistake and it affects you? Directly? In you home, where it hurts the most?
Sadly, with a mostly ineffectual policing system, as we have in SA, vigilantism is rife, and probably needed.

So, ultimately, what am I for?
I am for a stronger, more armed, more trained, better paid, better equipped, larger, more involved police force so that vigilantism wouldn’t be necessary.

4 comments:

lordwiggly said...

You watched The Boondock Saints? Time to have a Guy Ritchie movie night, girl!

lordwiggly said...

Boondock Saints is by Troy Duffy btw. (Its a movie about vigilantism). Snatch and Lock Stock is Guy Ritchie.

chanzerig said...

I love the Boondock Saints! it's on my dvd-to-buy list.

Anyways, so what if you have a larger higher paid police force, you need an uncorrupt police force, and then you need a legal system which punishes criminals sufficiently instead of looking out for their "human rights" and handing out pitifully light sentences.

Vigilantism is quite okay, if someone does you wrong why don't you have the right to rectify things. It's perfectly fine if you target the person you know is 100% wrong, no innocent ppl are gonna get gunned down etc. It's only stupid when dumb people go about trying to do it.

beeeeeeeeep.

Kerryn said...

Boondock Saints = One of my favourite movies ever.

Chan all you said goes without saying.

I'm happy if it is always done right, but it isn't, not always.