Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Entry the Ninth

I am a member of one of those dating sites where you get to have fans and favorites. I'm sure that any singles know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyhoo. I 'meet' this guy on-line, lets call him Richard. Richard and I swap e-mails for a couple of weeks (I ain't no slag). We meet for coffee for a coupla hours, e-mail some more. Things just seem to fizzle after that without any animosity.

One day I am sending a business e-mail to another Richard and I see his name. I send him an e-mail simply saying "Hey, saw your name in my contacts and was just wondering how you are." He replies that he was just thinking about me the other day and is glad that I mailed, because he was going to mail me soon too. Can we get together for dinner soon?

Going well so far, no?

We arrange dinner, and he fetches me from home and we go to an okay restaurant. He isn't feeling well, so it is a fairly quick dinner. He drops me off at home, and all is good.

The next day, fairly late in the day, not stalkerishly 6:30, I SMS him to find out how he is feeling and to say thank you for the dinner.

SIDENOTE : The dinner was not fantastic. We went to a seafood restaurant (I don't eat seafood) and the service was very slow and the place was TOO dark, noisy and crowded. The conversation was "first-date" strained. But it didn't totally suck, and he seemed like a really nice guy.

And what do I hear after that? Nada, Nothing, Zip, Zilch.

But no, that is not the end of the story.

After this episode I hide my profile from view. My subscription has expired, I wasn't really into any of the conversations I was having, and maybe my feelings were a tiny little bit hurt.

A few months later, I vow - I am going to try this thing one more time. One more three month subscription and then I am done. Never to try Internet dating again. So I make some edits (my picture remains exactly the same though) and resubscribe.

One day, while checking out who has added me to their favorites, who do I see is a FAN of mine - Richard (who will now just be referred to as Dick).

WTF??

This is the message I composed, but never sent:

Dear Dick,
Thank you for adding me to your list of favorites. Clearly you think I must be SO desperate that I did not notice that you chose to treat me with utter disregard. It is your prerogative to not be interested. I am fully aware of that sometimes guys are "just not that into me". I get it, I really do. Perhaps I was just a little hurt at the way you treated me, but I assure you, it took me 5.5 seconds to get over that.
But who the fuck do you think you are to even add me to your favorites? Do you think you have the right to go around acting like a first-grade prick and expect people not to notice? Seriously, who does that?
Perhaps you realised that the 21 year old blond was really only after your money? Or that the 19 year old who "just wants to party, and have fun" is a total piscat who will shag the first guy who buys her a drink.
That perhaps that I am one of the 5 real woman on this site, who isn't after anything more than your company?
Just like it is your prerogative to not be interested, it is my prerogative to tell you to fuck off. I am no longer interested. You had your chance, you blew it. Deal with it.

I am no longer a member of that site. And my Internet dating days are done. I just can't get that into it.

This is a seriously long entry, so I am going to leave you with this one last question:

WTF?

2 comments:

lordwiggly said...

Hectic. I went through a Dating Season earlier this year. You can read my archive entries if you like. But to be honest, nothing went right and it majorly sucked. Especially cos the girl I hooked up with through the site seemed so keen to move on past her last relationship, and then proceeded to get back together with her ex after he got out of rehab for the second time. Needless to say I was hurt and disappointed.

But recently Ive wondered if I should give it another bash? Your entry doesn't seem too encouraging tho...

Unknown said...

Well, that clinches it. I will now never be able to sign up for the online dating thingy. Not my style in any case.

By the way, you really should post more often. I really enjoy reading your posts and you always seem to make me laugh, whether it's your intention or not!