Friday, November 9, 2007

I just had a heated discussion with a colleague about racism, and the fact that he is one, a racist, I mean.

I am shocked that people like him exist in this world still. It’s always an "us" and "them" thing with people like that and I am so tired of it.

I grew up during Apartheid. It was only abolished when I was 16 years old. The first democratic elections were held on my 18th birthday, and it is the only year I never voted.

I have a vision of "us" and "them" too. But in mine the "us" is those of us who believe in a future for South Africa, for people of all colour. Those of us who teach our children about acceptance and love and kindness. Those of us who have the power to change this country and to make it into something beautiful and free and fair.

"They" are those that diminish the beauty of this country by their viscous words and actions. Them who break the law daily and buy that car radio system out of someone's boot. Them who are so quick to blame ‘the blacks’ for all the badness in the country, when it is those very same people who are creating the DEMAND for SUPPLY, which means my house getting broken into.
Those who hurt, and steal, and abuse. Those who have no place in my world.

I was accused of being a naive liberal who isn’t realistic. Me, who spent R70000-00 on security in her home. Me who drives like a Meerkat. I am not realistic about the state of the country. I know the faults of South Africa, I know how much hatred is seething below the surface, but I have hope. I see the goodness in people.

I see that Ciara has noticed the difference in people. She has noticed that her skin is peach, and her friend at schools skin is brown. And that is it. She sees no class distinction. There is no superior and inferior. She sees nothing more than the only difference, which is on the outside.
I see the hope in that. I see the future in that.


I leave you with the words of Steven Tyler:
"If you can judge a wise man by the colour of his skin, then mister you’re a better man than I".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've given up arguing with these people. Too bad that some of my best friends are racist.

Michelle Hix said...

I came here through a friend of a friend of a friend's blog...you know how that goes...just keep clicking and well, here I am. I really liked this post. I live in the USA and I've always had a place in my heart for people effected by racism...no matter where they live. For some reason, I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach and I get a lump in my throat when someone around me makes a racist comment...which is all too often. I don't know why it effects me so much, but I'm glad it does. And I'm glad I'm not the only one.